Friday, August 3, 2007

Macro: Spider



Ready to Pounce
f/8, 1/60s, Diffused flash, D80, Tamron 90mm 1:1 SP

Spiders are some of the most interesting macro subjects, but they are also one of the most difficult to capture properly. Their ability to leap away means you can sometimes become extremely frustrated.

One trick I try, which works most of the time, is to stun them using the camera's flash. I hope I don't blind them permanently (and I'm pretty sure I don't), just enough to stun them into keeping still for a while.

All the same, it's important to use flash when photographing insects to ensure good lighting, and to also freeze the frame - it counters hand shake to some extent.

This is not the perfect picture of a spider by any means - you really have to get the eyes in focus. And of course, I didn't get close enough - I think it would be better to fill the frame more with the spider than with all that negative space.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

But I still think that flies are the most difficult to capture :) They fly away too quickly before you even got your lens from the bag yet, LOL.

Anonymous said...

You captured the leaf excellently! hahaha

Applegal said...

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa *drools*

moz monster said...

pelf: Flies often come back to the same spot, and is also blinded by a quick zap of strong flash ... and you should already have your camera ready, otherwise you'll miss a lot of shots.

che-cheh: =P

applegal: I hope to get better images in the future ... but glad you like this one !