Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Macro: I ain't letting go



I Ain't Letting Go Part 1
f/16, 1/30s, Tamron 90mm 1:1 Macro, D80



I Ain't Letting Go Part 2

f/16, 1/30s, Tamron 90mm 1:1 Macro, D80

Someone, tell me what's happening with these ants ??!!!

Taken from my little garden. The nice colors are a result of photographing this during the evening, when the sun is not as harsh. The colors are nicer, not as prone to 'whiteouts', and best of all, it doesn't give you - the photographer - a sunburn as easily.

For this shot, I had to wait till the winds died down, because I chose to use a very small f-stop, f/16, in order to get the maximum Depth of Field. That meant the shutter speed would be slow, around 1/30, in this case. It would have been really easy to spoil the pictures if I used a much wider aperture, but got parts of the ant out of focus because of shallow DOF. *Addition* What this means is that the chance of a bad picture due to shaking hands, slightly moving leaves, etc is very high - because the shutter speed is quite slow.*end of addition*

I'm darn happy with the results.

BTW, the ants are hanging on to these leaves when my dad was trying to pluck some of them away - he hates to have ants on the plants in the garden. And yes, he hand plucks them, because he doesn't want to kill them - even at the cost of getting bitten.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the second picture!! So cuteeee :)

rainbow angeles said...

Look like Semutman...

Anonymous said...

The first one is great. The ant is so cute hahaha

moz monster said...

pelf: Hehehee ... most people like the 2nd picture ... but I love both. Shows that even ants will fight for dear life, and survival instinct is not unique to human, and that we should respect all living beings.

angel: Semutman ? Where's the cape? Or the underwear outside ? =P

che-cheh: Cute wor ? Try trying to pluck it out ... your hand will turn Liverpool red in color ... =P

Anonymous said...

i like the composition for the 1st one... it'll be more stunning if it had more depth :)